Link building is crucial to your search engine optimization (SEO) campaign. But as a white hat link builder, earning links the right way and avoiding techniques that violate Google’s webmaster guidelines are even more critical.
Using white hat strategies will lead to consistent, long-term SEO success. On the flip side, black-and-gray hat methods can result in penalties and a ban from search engine results pages (SERP).
Fret not—we’ve rounded up effective link-building strategies for you. Below are white hat techniques to wear on your head for your SEO campaign.
Top White Hat Techniques for Your Link-building Campaign
White hat link building is a crucial component of any SEO campaign which aims to earn the top spot on SERP. It’s a part of off-page SEO, referring to any action you take outside your website that boosts your web presence and traffic.
Many digital marketers equate link building to off-page SEO, making it the most popular strategy. But what makes it a white hat is when you implement ethical and sustainable techniques that abide by Google’s guidelines.
But as a white hat link builder, what are these techniques? Discover the secrets of white hat link building below.
1. Blog Creation with Linkable Assets
Did you know that less than one-fourth of content published on the web will earn backlinks more than once? This means that over 75% of content pieces will get one backlink—or never at all. So if you want to build links, start a blog and publish content.
To let people naturally link to your blog posts, create linkable assets. Note that these assets have two key attributes: relevancy and value. Of course, they should be relevant to your target market (readers or users). Likewise, they should offer real value by meeting their needs.
Here are linkable assets to create and publish on your blog:
- Blog Posts: Regularly post relevant and valuable pieces of content. Include keywords your prospects will most likely use when searching online. Give them high-quality content, and you’ll get surprised at how they’ll end up linking to your posts.
- Case Studies: A case study demonstrates how your product/service has helped past customers. However, back it up with real-life examples to convince prospects to try your product/service. People will likely link to your case study if you show remarkable results with compelling proof.
- Statistics: They are powerful tools for building links, as people can use them to back up claims. You can create and publish articles and infographics with industry facts and figures. However, doing so requires extensive research and transparent sources. When done successfully, you’ll earn high-quality backlinks from different websites.
2. Guest Blogging
Guest blogging is another technique for white hat link building. This strategy entails writing content for other websites to expand reach, establish authority, and boost site traffic.
The process involves reaching out to sites relevant to your niche and crafting valuable content for their audiences. When done successfully, you’ll ultimately earn backlinks to your website and potentially gain new customers for your business.
Take our case study on a client in the hospitality industry who sought our help for their SEO implementation. We employed a white hat link-building campaign, which included guest blogging. In the end, their organic traffic rose to a whopping 1200% after 15 months.
If you want to employ guest blogging, start with an email outreach using the template below: (Download email templates)
3. Journalist Outreach
Journalist outreach entails building relationships with the media and getting coverage for your brand. This strategy involves reaching out to journalists and providing relevant information showing your expertise. When implemented successfully, you’ll earn valuable backlinks from highly authoritative publications.
One way to get started is by using Help a Reporter Out (HARO). HARO is an online service that connects journalists with expert sources for their stories. You can leverage this platform to provide journalists with valuable information. They might quote you and link to your website if they find them relevant to their stories.
Case in point: Our study on one of the largest directories of senior living networks in the U.S. We implemented a journalist outreach for this client, along with the white hat link-building campaign. After one year and seven months, their website saw a 250.54% increase in organic traffic.
To get started with journalist outreach, send emails to top online publications using Jolly’s templates (Download email templates):
4. Broken Link Building
Broken link building involves identifying broken links on other websites and replacing them with links to your content. It’s an effective technique for improving the site’s user experience (UX) while earning backlinks for your own website.
To implement this white hat link-building strategy, you should find broken links and link to yours. You can use tools such as Ahrefs and Majestic to search for broken links on other websites. Once you’ve found broken links, contact the website owners and offer to replace them with links to your content. If lucky enough, you’ll get the high-quality backlinks you deserve.
To reach out to website owners, use the templates here for your email outreach, (Download email templates)
5. Directory Submission
The last on the list of white hat link building is directory submission. This strategy is a viable solution for building links to your website. If you don’t know how to proceed, here’s how:
- Online Directories: Submit your business details to appropriate directories. However, choose those relevant to your niche and with good reputations. Not only will you increase your web presence, but you’ll also earn backlinks from these sites.
- Business Listings: Create business profiles on reputable third-party websites, such as TripAdvisor, Google My Business, Bing, Yahoo, Facebook, and Yelp. List your name, address, and phone (NAP) details, not to mention your website. Doing so lets you earn backlinks and drive customers to your site.
White hat link building is a crucial part of your SEO campaign. As a white hat link builder, implement the five techniques discussed above. By following these strategies, you’ll be well on your way to building high-quality links. Ultimately, these will help improve your search engine ranking for online visibility and website traffic.
Want to take your SEO game to the next level? Don’t play dirty tactics! Instead, try our white hat link-building techniques and see your website soar to the top of the SERP. Schedule a free consultation with us today!